Hmmm…a vegan Fettuccine Alfredo you say…
I do! I do! Fettuccine Alfredo is Dan’s favourite food. While neither of us are vegan (we are vegetarian though) I love this vegan recipe that features cashews and potatoes as the ‘cream’ sauce. Every time I make true fettuccine alfredo (with all that alfredo goodness) I silently cringe while adding the insane amounts of butter and cream to the pot. I am by no means a health fanatic and I’ll order fettuccine alfredo any day at a restaurant, but for some reason when it comes to making it myself I just can’t help but balk.
I saw this recipe for a vegan fettuccine ‘alfredo’ sauce about a year ago on Tasty (you know, those short recipe videos on Facebook that suck you in for 30 seconds? I’ve linked the original video here). I had to try it. Admittedly, my expectations were pretty low, but, damn was I pleasantly surprised! This is now a recipe that has made it into our roster of staples and is so much more flavourful and delicious than you could ever imagine (well…more than I could imagine anyway!). I’ve kept the recipe close to the original but I choose to use more onion and fresh parsley as opposed to dried Italian spices.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 box fettuccine pasta
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 white onion
- 2 medium or 3 small white potatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic depending on size
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a pot of boiling water for your pasta – cook as per the instructions on your particular package.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and onion into cubes. Bring a second pot to a boil and cook the potatoes and onion until soft. Remove from heat and strain the vegetables into a separate bowl. DO NOT pour out the boiled water, keep it aside as you will be using it in the next step.
- In a blender, add your cashews, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and the boiled onions and potatoes. Add one cup of the water from boiling the potatoes and onion. Blend until the mixture is consistent. If you wish for it to be more creamy add more of the vegetable water 1/8 cup at a time and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once your pasta is cooked, strain it completely. Add the ‘cream’ sauce to the fettuccine noodles and combine until all the noodles are fully coated.
- Serve and enjoy! This is a good one, Folks!